Congratulations, you’ve just bought a new house! There are so many decisions that need to be made: paint color, furniture layout, décor, and more. One of the most important decisions you will have to make is choosing which door hardware to install. Doors are essential to keeping your home secure and comfortable. From locksets to knobs and levers, there are lots of different types of door hardware available for installation in your home. But how do you decide what kind is right for you? In this blog post, we will discuss how to choose the right kind of door hardware for your new home and provide some tips on how to install it correctly.
What to Consider When Picking Door Hardware
The first thing you need to do when picking door hardware is to decide what type of hardware you want. There are three main types of door hardware: knobs, levers, and handles. Each has its own benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to pick the right one for your needs.
Knobs are the most popular type of door hardware. They’re easy to use and come in a variety of styles. However, they can be difficult to grip if your hands are wet or greasy.
Levers are a good choice for doors that get a lot of traffic. They’re easy to operate, even with wet or greasy hands. However, they can be more expensive than knobs.
Handles are a good choice for doors that don’t get a lot of traffic. They’re easy to grip and come in a variety of styles. However, they can be more difficult to operate than levers.
How to Install Door Hardware
Installing door hardware is a fairly simple process, but there are a few things you’ll need to keep in mind to make sure it’s done correctly. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to install door hardware:
1. Start by measuring the door to determine what size hardware you’ll need.
2. Once you’ve got the right size hardware, it’s time to install the doorknob or lever. Most doorknobs and levers will come with two screws – one for the knob itself and one for the strike plate.
3. Screw the knob or lever into place, making sure that it’s snug but not too tight. Then, attach the strike plate to the door frame using the other screw.
4. If your door has a deadbolt, repeat these steps for installing that as well. Just make sure that the deadbolt is properly aligned with the strike plate before tightening everything down.
5. Once all of the hardware is installed, test it out to make sure everything is working properly.
Install the Deadbolt
When you’re ready to install your new deadbolt, start by drilling a hole through the door where the bolt will go. If your door is already drilled for a previous deadbolt, make sure to use the same size drill bit.
Next, insert the bolt into the hole and secure it with screws. Be sure to tighten the screws until they are snug against the door, but be careful not to over-tighten them or strip the threads.
Finally, insert the key into the lock and turn it clockwise to extend the bolt and lock the door. To unlock the door, simply insert the key and turn it counter clock wise.
Install the Strike Plates
Door hardware includes the strike plates, which are the metal plates that are installed around the door frame. The strike plate protects the door from being forced open. There are many different types of strike plates available, so it is important to choose the one that best fits your needs.
To install the strike plate, first measure the doorframe to determine the size of the hole that needs to be cut. Then, using a power drill, make a hole in the doorframe at the appropriate size and location. Next, insert the strike plate into the hole and secure it in place with screws. Finally, test the strike plate to ensure that it is properly installed and functioning.
Where i can find the best hardware stores in Australia
There are a few things to consider when looking for the best hardware stores near me. First, consider the type of products that you need. If you are looking for door hardware, then you will want to find a store that specializes in this type of product. Second, consider the price. You don’t want to spend too much money on door hardware, but you also don’t want to sacrifice quality. Finally, consider the customer service. You want to find a store that is helpful and knowledgeable so that you can get the best possible experience.
Here are some of the best hardware stores in Australia:
– Bunnings Warehouse: This store has a wide variety of door hardware, including knobs, handles, locks, and more. They also have a great return policy so that you can return any products that you are not satisfied with.
– Home Depot: This store also carries a wide variety of door hardware. They often have sales and specials so that you can save money on your purchase. In addition, they have an excellent customer service team who can help you with any questions or concerns that you may have.
– Lowe’s: Another great option for door hardware is Lowe’s. They offer a wide variety of products at competitive prices. In addition, they have an excellent customer service team who can help you with any questions or concerns that you may have.